Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Man vs. Wild or TV vs. Real Life.

For those that don't know Bear Grylls, he's the bug-eating dude on Man vs. Wild on Discovery Channel.

It's amazing that when the subject of his TV show comes up, some people think that he's fake because his show doesn't put him in "real" danger. Some people think that he really should be putting his life on the line in every situation, every week on every show. Otherwise, to them, anything less would be fake. Well, I'm pretty sure that would be silly, not to mention very naive.

I always thought it was obvious that the TV show is just a representation of tips and tricks on what to do if you were ever in similar situations. Not once did I ever take it literally. In fact, I'd be nuts if I did. To me it's always been what it is - fun infotainment. Believe it or not, everything on TV has to be produced - from reality shows to the news to presidential debates. I mean if you look to TV or movies for reality, then you'd be in trouble. So c'mon people. Snap out of it.

What amazes me the most is how a lot of people still don't know where to draw the line between real life and TV and their expectations of each. That's just plain scary.

I know because Baltar told me so.